Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The search that breaks your heart

Saturday night we did had fajita night at our house. We used Rick Bayless's skillet sauce which was incredible. I did feel like I was cheating a little by using it... like I should be concocting my own skillet sauce but why on earth should I reinvent to wheel when Rick's got it down?! And boy does he, it was incredible!

We watched Identity Thief which again, why all the profanity? What happened to movies that were witty and not slapstick humor or vulgar jokes. Jim Gaffigan needs a new stand-up act. Mr. Universe can only be watched so many times. 

Sunday morning we went on a family run and then went to church. I worked on my stencil project most of the day while listening to a sermon on joy from the compass. It was so timely. I just loved how the sermon deciphered the difference between joy and happiness....happiness is an emotion where joy is rejoicing in all the blessing God has given us. I choose joy! 

I was pretty joyful all afternoon Sunday but then... a vacuum fell on me. It hurt. I've got bruises. But I still choose joy! ;)

Yesterday, Grace and I went on a run and then went to a play date with our Sunday school class. We went to the grocery store, Costco, and had lunch with Alex. Poor Grace about lost her mind after all of those errands. She was exhausted. We had a mini play date coffee break in the afternoon with Jennifer and Carolina that ended with spilled water and coffee. These babies keep us on our toes!

Last night we had Dubliner & Gouda mac n' cheese. I used Martha Stewart's recipe and made the substitutes. I highly recommend! I also did half the amount of bread on top and instead added Cheezits (like Q in Naperville does). Here's a picture:


This morning I went to look up workout classes at my gym and searched for "24 hour fitness Chicago." Wha wha...... my heart sank. I looked at the map and saw my old suburb, my neighborhood in the city and although we are getting acclimated here and our house is feeling like a home I miss the broke and corrupt state of Illinois. I miss my screened in front porch. I miss the 4 mile loop along the lakefront. I miss my familiar friend's faces. I miss Naf Naf, Heaven on Seven, Mason Sabika, and Coopers Hawk. I miss every weekend being crammed full of activities with comfortable friendships. I miss yoga pant play dates and elastic pant dinners. I miss wearing pants and not feeling like you're going to pass out because of the heat trapped in them. I miss family and seeing the interactions with Grace that make your heart melt. So this afternoon, I'll cry for my old state. Tomorrow, I'll choose joy.


2 comments:

  1. Oh Rheanna, I know exactly how you're feeling! There were many, many tears shed during my first few months in Texas. 3 years later, I still miss my home state, family and friends DEARLY, but I have learned to really love this little corner of Houston too. Just want you to know that I'm so glad you're here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you- and miss you too... A lot :(

    ReplyDelete