Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mother goose story time

Story time, sprouts, pineapple cocktail, homemade hummus!

Today we attended story time at the local library. There was a story, singing, and dancing. Grace loved it! We've been to a few libraries that have put on baby story time and this was by far the best. 

Beside me sat a mother and her 7 month old and on my opposite side sat a couple with their 11 month old. After the story the facilitator put out books and toys for the babies and everyone began to socialize. I quickly discovered how sweet the people were beside me and I stepped out of my comfort zone (thinking of all the people I have appreciated here in Texas so far) and I suggested wwe exchanged numbers for a play date or dinner in the future. 

While shopping, I was thinking about the comfort and ease of my established relationships back in Illinois (I miss you all dearly). Then I began to think about all of the times I should have made more of an effort...at school, at church, with the neighbors... All of the times I chose to just keep to myself because I already had the comfort of family and friends close by flashed before me. It felt like everyone at this story time was looking for a friend.. Those of you with kiddos totally get it... Sometimes you need another adult to make you feel sane. 

My point is that I had the opportunity to realize how blessed we were (and still are) to have such wonderful friends and family. I do understand now what it's like to be an outsider. Please keep me in mind next time you go to a social and see someone sitting by themselves. Think of me when you hear someone is new in town. We are desperate for the hugs of an old friend, so be our new one. :)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment