Wednesday, August 28, 2013

It's her party and I'll cry when it's over

Someone asked me the theme of my blog this weekend. I think it's safe to say tears. Someone in elementary school asked me why I was a cry baby... I guess it's seventh child syndrome but believe it or not it's something Alex says he loves about me. He loves that I am an emotional person and am moved by things and I truly love that he is an emotional and passionate man. Not that I see him cry often but the man has feelings and I love it!

Recap of the last few days...

Friday afternoon Jennifer and Carolina came over to help bake cupcakes and Grace's smash cake. I marveled at Jennifer's skills and knowledge over this cake baking! I forgot buttermilk needed for the cake and she had an idea to make it ourselves (with the help of Google). Brilliant I tell ya! Alex had a two hour commute home so we just spent the night working on getting the house ready for Grace's party followed by an early bedtime.

Saturday morning we went on a bike ride to a local restaurant called Cafe Red. We went with another family in the neighborhood that we've grown close with. It was an absolutely perfect start to our day! After breakfast the Franks came over. Jennifer helped me ice the cupcakes and Carolina played with Gracie. Alex and Gustavo went shooting at George Bush Park. Alex was so happy to go; he's been itching to go since we've moved here! In the afternoon we went to little Arden's birthday party. Arden is one of Grace's companions and is an absolute doll. Her party was absolutely gorgeous, every detail thought of and oh so country chic. After the party we came home and relaxed on our patio.

Sunday morning we went to church and had a shindig for Gracie. It was so much fun! Grace didn't love the smash cake despite my efforts of sneaking her scraps of the cake Saturday so maybe she would love it when it was her time to dig in Sunday. Everyone was so generous. thoughtful, and loving on Grace's special day. Alex and I couldn't help but be overwhelmed with the fact that we've been here just under three months and have some solid friendships established with positive influences in not only our lives but also Grace. Just another example of how God has provided. After everyone left we took a family nap, ate dinner, and hit the hay before nine.


 
Monday was an emotional day. Before bed Sunday, we watched videos of Grace as an infant. My goodness has she grown. It was hilarious to see how she could barely control her neck and now she can delicately pick things up with her little pinchers. In the morning we brought cupcakes to the childcare girls at the gym that Grace adores. We went on a bike ride and to the park later. For dinner, we met Alex at a Mexican restaurant with an enormous patio. Grace ordered her first kids meal and dessert. We got many sweet calls, texts, and facetime in which was so thoughtful. Our baby is officially a toddler, although, "as long as I'm living my baby you'll be."

Tuesday we went to Town and Country to meet Alex for lunch. We enjoyed the break in the day by seeing his sweet face and doing shopping. Of course I haven't quite learned to read the signs and Grace had a complete meltdown on the way home but live and learn my friends....live and learn. We had another low key night here getting Alex packed for his business trip.


Today we had Gracie's one year doctor appointment. Unfortunately, it was one of those days that reminded me of the things I miss about Chicago-land and I desperately miss my old pediatrician's office. Today was nuts. We had more forms to fill out once we got to the office (on top of the stack I had completed at home)... I feel like I'm signing my kid's life away! Alex came with since we knew G was getting four shots....sadly, he had to leave for the airport before they called us in and Alex didn't have a chance to even meet the doctor. Our appointment was at 10:10, we did not leave until just before noon. The doctor had NO idea I was a new patient, scoffed at my old pediatrician for telling me to give Grace everything but honey, and total processed our appointment. I felt SO rushed (I only saw the doctor for a total of 7 minutes) and the four shots was pretty traumatizing to poor Grace. Lorna has blood all over her after the finger prick. Rough morning.

Surprisingly, Grace was in great spirits the rest of the day. We went to whole foods and world market for shopping and lunch. This afternoon, a couple girlfriends and their kiddos came over for wine and visiting. It was lovely. Since they've gone, I've been having a pretty low key night getting a couple of projects done. Love to you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment