Thursday, August 15, 2013

A Visit From Grandma & Grandpa

What a week! It went by too fast as most good times do.. A visit from Alex's parents was lovely.

We grilled out on Wednesday night after spending a couple hours at the pool. Thursday we went on a run in the morning and then went on a 13 mile bike ride. Thursday night Bill and Chris watched Grace while Alex and I went on a date. so nice to be able to talk, eat my own food without cutting it for Grace, and just enjoy the company of my sweetheart. Friday we went to Hermann Park and walked through the Japanese garden followed by a little shopping in Rice Village. We had dinner at Lupe Tortilla which is never a disappointment. :) Saturday Morning we went to San Antonio but not before stopping at Buc-cee's. It was the best rest stop I've ever seen. San Antonio was awesome. We went to the Alamo, one of the Missions, and the river walk. We stayed with friends that showed such hospitality; looking forward to visiting again in October. Sunday we headed back to Katy and had a restful night at home. Monday we went to NASA which was educational and incredible. There was so much cool stuff to see! Tuesday we took Grace to story time, explored the quaint downtown of Fulshear, and spent time at the pool. Grace is getting braver every time we go! Yesterday, Bill and Chris returned to Chicago and we all went to bed early. Here are some pictures of our adventures; such a wonderful time:

Clockwise from top left: Japanese garden @ Hermann Park, The Shales & Haines' at the Shale's house in San Antonio, Grace trying on some fur at one of the shops in San Antonio, Grace opening some birthday gifts, the San Antonio river walk
The Alamo, The church at the San Jose Mission, Alex & I at the Alamo, Grace waving to Grandma near the river walk, Grace playing with her new shopping cart from Jim and Ella. 
Dinner on Tuesday, All of us at Hermann Park, Grandma & Grandpa with Gracie at the pool, Grace and I at story time, Grandpa and Gracie playing after our run.
Grandpa feeding Grace, Grace in love with herself at a boutique store in Rice Village, Grace touching a moon rock, Grace giving a tour of NASA, the group at lunch on the river walk.

I learned a lot during our visit. I was inspired by the hospitality from friends in San Antonio and will try to recreate the little touches that made our stay such an experience next time we have visitors. I also learned about being a good guest in someone's home. I suppose one of the best things about the visit from Alex's parents was that they didn't need to be entertained. They were so helpful, without being asked, they seemed to take in the moment and just enjoy. Grace was in heaven during their stay. She enjoyed the playtime (even in the car) and embraced the love and attention from Grandma and Grandpa.

I'm finishing The Screwtape Letters before seeing the play this weekend and one of the chapters talks about how the devil distracts you with the busyness of everyday life to keep your mind off of eternity. This could not be more of a reality for me. Between feeding Grace, feeding myself, and then cleaning up after our meals, I feel like our whole day is gone. I had silence on our drive this morning along with a little worship music and just tried to mediate on how blessed we truly are... not by things but by those around us. I thought about how Margery, a good friend back home, kept encouraging me before our move, telling me, "Rheanna, God with provide, he hears your prayers." She sent me a card our second week down here with further encouragement for handling the move with grace and how I was an example to others around me (another examples of blessings- I have incredible women in my life to help me see blessings through the tears). As hard as yesterday was (saying "so long for now"), God has blessed us immensely since we have been here and continues to bless us day in and day out. The busyness of life could have distracted me from praising the Lord this afternoon, thank goodness it didn't.

We are looking forward to the next couple of days with NO plans and catching up on housework enjoying time as a little family. Now it's time to enjoy some freshly baked bread from a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment