Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A trip "home"

God teaches us every moment that we are open to it. I feel like He was trying to speak to me during this trip and through reflection once we made it home. Unfortunately, it was incredibly difficult to have quality time with everyone we wanted to see.... we saw a lot of familiar faces and had the warm hugs we've been missing but it was hard to really connect and just be together with the short time frame we had. On the plane ride home Alex and I were talking and he mentioned that he was worried that this trip would spark my homesickness all over again. Thursday was a really rough day for me; it felt like I was starting over in Texas once again. I won't discount how blessed we are to have a group of people that we have built community with here but Alex and I do struggle with missing all things Illinois. Time just goes too fast... and that's what God was trying to teach me. I believe he wanted me to realize that I need to be in every moment. Just enjoy and be present. Do not think about dinner at breakfast... savor your eggs with the melted Dubliner deliciousness. Watch Grace discover how magnets work. Enjoy those baby blues when they connect with you and smile. Embrace the kiss from your husband, even when you're consumed with what's cooking on the stove. Just be in the moment and praise the Lord for these sweet blessings.

My favorite moments from the trip:

1. The feeling of being on vacation.
2. Alex being there when I wake up.
3. Sweet people in the airport that interacted with Grace.
4. How happy the flight attendants are on a Southwest flight.
5. The cool, crisp air in the Midwest.
6. Grace's sweet smiles with her Grandparents & Nana & Papa.
7. Margaritas with my best friend.
8. Hugs... Lots and lots of hugs.
9. Grace playing with her cousins.

10. Seeing Raissa (my little sister) and how much she's grown. Boy, babies LOVE her. Must be her pixi cut... (they think she's tinker bell!)
11. Breakfast at Egg harbor.
12. Running at midway village.
13. My mom's banquette potatoes.
14. Visiting with my cousins.
15. Watching Grace rub her Papa's beard.
16. Apple cider donuts.
17. Watching Nichole walk down the aisle.
18. Dancing with my sisters.
19. The leaves changing colors.
20. Coffee and catching up in the morning.
21. Morning runs/walks at our old path.
22. Fall sangria.
23.Grace taking off with her walking!
24. Pumpkins and fall decor.
25. The generosity of family and friends for Grace's birthday.
26. Posing for pictures.
27. Grace's birthday outfits.
28. Pumpkin whoopie pies.
29. Heaven on Seven.
30. Seeing Grace with all of her little friends (although they still don't really acknowledge each other).
31. Strolling through downtown Naperville.
32. Grace pounding piano keys and loving every second.
33. The Chicago skyline.
34. Driving past our old home on Newport and missing it.
35. Being cold.
36. Visiting Maggie's new apartment and how her room reveals her style so well. Also realizing what a proud aunt she is with all of the pictures of Gracie that adorn her walls.
37. The effort everyone went to in order to see us.
38. Lounging on the hammock with a breeze.
39. Being outside and not instantly sweating.
40. Meeting Liam for the first time and remembering how fragile newborns are.
41. Grace falling asleep on Nana's shoulder.
42. Hugs with a tight squeeze and teary eyes because we are missed.
43. Time with the ones we love, even though it was not enough.
44. Knowing we will be back at Christmas.
45. Alex letting me cry on his shoulder.
46. Sweet older women loving on Grace on the airplane.
47. Grace sleeping across our laps.
48. Reading the sweet cards Grace received.
49. Lattes in the afternoon.
50. Comfort in the fact that the Lord wants us right where we are at this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment