Thursday, June 27, 2013

C is for community.

We're here and officially Texas residents. We will get our Texas licenses later this week... eek! I haven't quite figured out why but for whatever reason, we expected a grace period in moving, maybe because we have our "baby Grace" and are used to making the ultimate excuse for ourselves ("we have a baby!") but Texas gives you 30 days to change your registration to their state. THIRTY DAYS! I have had mail go unopened, laundry go without being folded, spoiled milk sit in our refrigerator longer than 30 days. Who am I kidding, I love mail and could never let it sit that long. But seriously, when I found this out I went through a mini breakdown, "what if I'm not ready to change my licence  I mean, I just got here. With out record of moving we could be back in Illinois in a few short months."  Confession time... we never changed our registration to the city of Chicago to avoid paying those outrageous city sticker fees. Since maturing and looking for community, I have come to appreciate the "all in" attitude that is Texas. Before our last move to Naperville, I have always waited to invest, waited to become members of a church, waited to make strong relationships with the neighbors. Despite our involvement with our last church, we never did become official members. Not this time. I am actually proud of Alex and myself. We've met some of the neighbors at the splash pad, at the pool, at church, and out watering the lawn. We have even had dinner with a few families. We are convinced that God wants us here in Katy, Texas and we're anxious to see where we are led while we are here. Cheers to new friendships, decorating our new home, and getting settled. Keep us in your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blogging and welcome to Texas! You are going to fit right in with the rest of us transplants and the natives too.

    :) Jen

    ReplyDelete